Saturday, November 14, 2009

I live in Hawaii. Will some flowers considered "annual" become perennial?

I notice a lot of the time on seed packets and what not, that the flowers will not survive the frost etc. I am totally new at growing flowers, but since I live in Hawaii where the temperature is usually warm and stable, will some flowers considered annual bloom all year round?





For example, I have baby's breath and sunflowers that are considered annual, will they bloom all year around?





And P.S. - When flowers are listed as ANNUAL, does this mean they will bloom during their blooming season, and then stay DORMANT until the season comes again, or die? Or do I even need to worry about this since i live in Hawaii which I believe is zone 9?

I live in Hawaii. Will some flowers considered "annual" become perennial?
Annuals are described as plants that develop from seeds, flower, fruit and die within a year. After a year, they complete their life cycle, go to seed and then die. There are a few exceptions and some annuals are described as "hardy annuals" and persist a little longer, even a year or two.





I too am in zone 9, but I'm in California. Annuals still behave like annuals for me, I just think we get a little longer life out of them than in climates where it's colder.





There is a note of caution that sometimes the plant is listed incorrectly as an annual or perennial. For example, Heliotropium, Lantana and Pelargonium are true perennials but most people list them as annuals since they are not very hardy. In my climate they all live on, but in zone 5 or so they will die and are treated like annuals. To get you started, it would be nice to invest in a "Sunset Western Garden Book" and they also have specialty books and one just on annuals.





Hope this helps you! Best of luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment