Friday, November 13, 2009

Do you know what flower this is?

I planted a variety of flowers in my yard about 2 months ago. In each corner, I planted wildflower seeds, containing 8 types of flowers. They are now starting to bloom here and there, so I decided to look some of them up to identify them, seeing as how this is my first garden. Problem is, I have flowers growing that I'm not sure I planted.


So my question is...Do you know? There are about 6 of them, the tallest one being approx 3 ft high. They branch out in many places, with long, fat, somewhat pointed leaves, and very small white flowers that are grouped. As they have grown, the stems have become increasingly red. I would really like to know what these are...so anyone who might have a clue, please let me know, I really appreciate it!


Thanks!





Note: My wildflowers consist of - Lupine, Annual Baby's Breath, Cornflower, Cosmos, Virginian Stock, Sweet William Catchfly, Mountain Garland and Shirley Poppy.

Do you know what flower this is?
Don't know them all-- but:


Baby's Breath is filmy leaved with white multipetal flowers. When you see it you'll recognize it as a "filler" in florist arrangements.


Cornflower appears to be a blue button-- stalk stands up.


Cosmos has thready leaves with a daisy type bloom ( center button and petals around) --usually maroon, pink, dark pink or white. They will grow pretty tall.


Stock is sturdy looking straight stem. The bloom is somewhat roseish and close to the stalk. Probably very fragrant. Doesn't like heat.


Sweet William ( at least what I know) is a bi-annual-- it looks somewhat like a tight round very small bush-- no blooms this year, but next. Fragrant. Very good in containers.


Shirley poppy has a few leaves at the soil, a thin stem without any leaves and a bud on the very end. They prefer being seeded in the fall-- but don't like soil to "cover" them at all-- I shake the seeds where I want them.


Another self seeder that I like is larkspur-- you might want to try that.





Here in zone 7-- the poppys are done -- self seeding. The Cosmos is still blooming but getting hot it also self seeds.-- the cornflower is done for the year and self seeds--The baby's breath is finished and I hope it is self seeding. Don't have any lupine or stock-- and don't recognize Mountain Garland.


Hope this is some help.


good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment